I’ve heard it often from former students: “It all made so much sense at the time, but now that I’ve got a sweater on the needles I’m not sure: What did you say about this, again?“ And although teaching is one of my favorite things in the world, I simply can’t travel everywhere!
So let’s solve both problems – take a live, 6-session class with me online!
This live, online class will help you make a phenomenal sweater with CustomFit and give you the skills you’ll need to make fantastic future garments, as well. Through six one-hour group class sessions plus two individual one-on-one sessions, I’ll guide you through your sweater knitting process from measurements to swatching to finishing and beyond.
Curriculum is customized to you – so the class is great for beginners and more advanced knitters alike.
More than a simple webinar, this class lets you take a live, interactive class with Amy online. The multi-session format gives you the time and flexibility to let Amy guide you through a sweater in real-time, answering whatever questions you have along the way. There will be a small amount of homework when it makes sense, and each class session will have both a specific topic and time for student questions. The course will cover the following topics in addition to allowing the group to set some of the curriculum:
- CustomFit itself – what the site can do, what it can’t, and how to use it to get a sweater you love
- Body measurements and Fit to Flatter principles – learn how to best fit and flatter your own beautiful bod
- Sweater fabric – matching materials to design, what constitutes a good sweater fabric, and (optionally) how to match fiber to stitch pattern choices
- Finishing – how to properly finish your sweater pieces for professional results
- Advanced CustomFit design topics – how to use the custom sweater wizard to design the sweater of your dreams
- One-on-one instruction – You’ll have two 15-minute personal sessions with Amy as part of your course fee.
Sample individual session descriptions – the class will be tailored to your specific needs!
- One-on-one session 1 (15 minutes): Shape analysis and measurement consults or anything else, at the beginning. Must happen before Session 2.
- One-on-one session 2 (15 minutes): Floating. On any topic you like – must happen within 7 days of the end of class.
- Session 1: Introduction to CustomFit and measurements. At the end of class, you’ll be able to store your measurements and have a basic understanding of how CustomFit works. Homework: Swatch.
- Session 2: Fit to Flatter and Fabric. At the end of class, you’ll be able to store your swatch measurements and generate your pattern. Homework: Get started!
- Session 3: Stitch patterning and shaping. We’ll cover matching stitch patterns to different materials, where you can put stitch patterning into your sweater to play nicely with shaping, and how to adjust your CF stitch counts for cables. At the end of class, you’ll be “tricking out” your CF sweaters with confidence! Homework: Keep knitting!
- Session 4: Sweater-in-progress workshop. By this point in the class you should be well into your sweater, and this class session will dive into the heart of all of it. How to keep track of “at the same time” shaping, what sweater pieces should look like as you’re knitting them, and any questions you’ve got about all things sweater. Homework: Either sweater pieces or dummy swatches for the next lesson – details TBA.
- Session 5: Finishing. Amy will guide you through proper finishing technique, from blocking to mattress stitch.
- Session 6: Final session. Sweater show-off, post-mortem, and next steps. We’ll also cover advanced CustomFit design topics.
Nitty-gritty logistical details:
The class sessions will be run as group video-teleconferences, where Amy will be videoed and it’s up to you whether or not you want to be. ☺ Please prepare to log into the WebEx system 5 minutes before each class session (you’ll get instructions via email); sessions will end strictly on time. No make-ups will be offered, though if the entire group wishes to reschedule that’s a possibility.
The cost for the entire class, including one CustomFit pattern, class sessions, and the one-on-one sessions, is $125.
Class dates: Monday, 8pm EST: 01/19, 02/02, 02/23, 03/09, 03/23, and 04/06
To sign up, click here.